What happens at an interim order review?
In this guide
How does a panel make a decision?Back to top
The panel must make sure that it thoroughly considers the initial interim order in the light of all the circumstances that are now before the review hearing.
Some of the factors the panel will consider include:
- the circumstances at the time the interim order was made, summarised in the decision of the panel
- any other relevant documentation, and
- any change of circumstances since then.
If the panel wishes, it can see the transcript of the first full interim order hearing where the nurse, midwife or nursing associate made representations. Previous transcripts can be made available to panels sitting on later interim order review hearings if necessary, but they are not provided as standard.
If the nurse, midwife or nursing associate has never attended in person or via a representative and made representations, future panels will not need a transcript and the previous decision notice will suffice.
A panel’s powersBack to top
A panel can review the interim order at either a private meeting or a public hearing. The panel then may:
- revoke the interim order or revoke any condition imposed by the interim order
- confirm the interim order
- vary any condition imposed by the interim order
- replace an interim conditions of practice order with an interim suspension order for the remainder of the duration of the interim order
- replace an interim suspension order with an interim conditions of practice order for the remainder of the duration of the interim order.
Reviewing interim suspension ordersBack to top
Interim suspension orders will usually be reviewed at meetings unless there has been a material change of circumstances, or unless the nurse, midwife or nursing associate requests a review hearing.
Reviewing interim conditions of practice ordersBack to top
Interim conditions of practice orders will usually be reviewed at hearings unless a full consideration of all the information before us suggests that the order can be confirmed at a review meeting.
The guidance in our library, needs to be read alongside our NMC Guidance during the Covid-19 emergency period. We have new rules that are in force during the period of the coronavirus emergency that are relevant to how it applies.
Want to download and print whole sections of this FtP library? Visit the downloads page.