What do practice supervisors do?
A practice supervisors’ role is to support and supervise nursing and midwifery students learning in the practice learning environment. All students must be supervised while learning in practice environments.
It’s the AEI’s responsibility to decide what level of supervision is appropriate, with its practice learning partners.
Factors that AEIs and their practice learning partners should take into account when considering the way in which supervision may be delivered include:
- public protection
- student learning needs – both the level of learning required (student competence) and the student’s programme outcomes
- student and practice supervisor equality and diversity needs
- the availability of practice supervisors and their skills and knowledge.
Practice supervisors should also be able to judge what kind of supervision and support they are able to provide.
SSSA Supporting Information hub
- Who are practice supervisors and how are they prepared?
- What do practice supervisors do?
- Supported time and resources for those supporting students in practice
Practice and academic assessment
- Practice and academic assessors
- Practice and academic learning
- Support for the assessor role
Learning environments and experiences
- Safe and effective learning
- Designing and reviewing a safe and effective learning environment and experience
- Types of learning experiences
- Support for those who deliver education
- Raising concerns
- The student at the centre of learning
What students can expect from their learning and assessment
- What students can expect from their learning and assessment - overview
- Relevant inductions and information
- A safe and effective learning experience
- Providing appropriate support for students at all times
- Supernumerary and protected learning time
- Evidence based, objective and fair assessments
- Reasonable adjustments (if applicable)
- Practice environment case studies for nursing programmes
- Supporting Information on Indirect Supervision
- Simulated practice learning