NMC appoints two registrant Council members
1 April 2015
The Privy Council has appointed two new Council members to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). They will join the Chair and nine other Council members.
Robert Parry is a registered nurse and has been Associate Director of Nursing and Midwifery at National Education for Scotland since 2008. He will take up office on the NMC Council on 1 May 2015. Mr Parry has held a number of senior education posts, including Dean of the Faculty for Health and Social Care at the University of Hull.
Professor Karen Cox is a registered nurse and Deputy Vice-Chancellor at the University of Nottingham. She has also held senior positions, including Visiting Professor at the School of Nursing at Yale University and the School of Nursing and Midwifery at Trinity College, Dublin. Professor Cox will hold office on the NMC Council from 1 May 2015.
The Chair of the Nursing and Midwifery Council, Professor Dame Janet Finch, said:
“I am delighted to welcome Robert Parry and Karen Cox to the NMC Council. Their extensive knowledge and experience in health education will be invaluable in supporting our strategic objectives and our focus on public protection. I am confident that they will be assets to the Council and I look forward to working with them.”
The NMC Council is made up of six members from a registrant background and six from a non-registrant or lay background.
Notes for editors
1. We are the nursing and midwifery regulator for England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Islands. We exist to safeguard the health and wellbeing of the public. We set standards of education, training, conduct and performance for nurses and midwives, and hold the register of those who have qualified and meet those standards. We provide guidance to help nurses and midwives keep their skills and knowledge up to date and uphold our professional standards. We have clear and transparent processes to investigate and deal with nurses and midwives who fall short of our standards.
2. Mr Robert Parry will hold office on the NMC Council from 1 May 2015 to 31 April 2018. He satisfies the NMC’s requirement for at least one Council member to live or work in Scotland.
3. Professor Karen Cox will hold office from 1 May 2015 to 31 April 2019. The recommended terms of office are different to align to the terms of other Council members, which are staggered to ensure a mix of registrant and lay member turnover and continuity.
4. For more information on the NMC Council, please visit our website: www.nmc.org.uk/about-us/governance/the-council/
5. For media enquiries, please contact Ann Brown or Hannah Schraer at email@example.com or on 020 7681 5649/5936.