Registration data reports
See the latest data from our register
What we publish
Our register tells us how many nurses and midwives in the United Kingdom (UK) and nursing associates in England are currently able to practise.
We publish data from our register every six months.
Our annual reports cover the 12 month period from April to March every year, but we also publish a mid-year report covering the sixth month period from April to September.
As well as the size of the register, our reports show the number of joiners and leavers, a breakdown of the register by age and field of practice, and much more.
Annual report - March 2020
Full UK report
- Register data report
- Easy read data report (accessible version for people who find reading hard)
- Register data tables
- Leavers' survey 2019
Breakdown by country of registered address
- England - register data report and data tables
- Northern Ireland - register data report and data tables
- Scotland - register data report and data tables
- Wales - register data report (Cymraeg) and data tables
- Non-UK address - data tables
How the register has changed
Between 1 April 2019 and 31 March 2020, the number of:
- people on our permanent register grew by 18,370 (2.6%) - reaching an all-time high total of 716,607
- nurses on our permanent register grew by 16,310 (2.5%) to 669,854
- midwives on our permanent register grew by 1,002 (2.7%) to 37,918
- dual registrants - people registered as both a nurse and midwife – fell by 146 (-2%) to 7,142
- nursing associates on our permanent register grew by 1,204 (246.2%) to 1,693
Also during this period, the number of professionals on our permanent register:
- whose initial registration was in the UK grew by 9,012 (1.5%) to 600,906
- from the EEA fell by 1,650 (-5%) to 31,385
- from outside the EEA grew by 11,008 (15%) to 84,316
How to interpret our data
The number of people on our register is constantly changing and can vary considerably from the start to the end of the month.
The overall number of people on our register is taken from the last day of March in each year, whereas the joiners’ and leavers’ data are cumulative totals from the whole year (1 April – 31 March).
Also, not everyone on our register will currently be working as a nurse, midwife or nursing associate, or working in the field they are registered in.
You can find more details on how to interpret our data in the reports.
Mid-year report - September 2019
- Mid-year register data report, September 2019
- Easy read data report, September 2019 (accessible version for people who find reading hard)
- Data by country of registered address in the UK, September 2019
- Register data tables, September 2019
Annual report - March 2019
- Annual register data report, March 2019
- Easy read data report, March 2019 (accessible version for people who find reading hard)
- Data by country of registered address in the UK, March 2019
- Register data tables, March 2019