Working outside the EU

Working as a nurse or midwife in an overseas country not in the EU

To practise outside the UK as a nurse or midwife, you will need to register with the relevant licensing or registration board in that country/state. They may ask for a certificate of current professional status (also known as letter of good standing or validation of registration) with the NMC. We call this a verification certificate.

This document confirms your initial registration date, the current status and expiry date of your registration, the qualifications you have registered with us and your training dates.

Fill in the overseas verification certificate form to request an application pack for a certificate.

When you submit an application request using our online form you will receive an email auto reply confirmation with a link on how you can then submit your payment of £34 using our quick pay option online. Details of how to pay will be included in your confirmation email. If you have been given a form by the licensing board or registration authority, please email a copy to the address shown on your confirmation email.

On the application form you have the option to request up to five verification certificates to be sent to different authorities If you request more than five or request another after your completed application is received, you will need to pay another fee.

Once we have received and processed your application and fee, a verification certificate will be issued within 15 working days, directly to the licensing or registration board that you have noted on your application form. An acknowledgement email will be sent to your email address once the verification certificate has been issued. We cannot send any verification certificates directly to you, unless they require translation.

Working in Australia

The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) may require an additional accreditation letter to be sent with your verification certificate, which we will automatically send on your behalf. Please enclose the AHPRA accreditation template when requesting your verification certificate.

More information

Obtaining a transcript of your training
Maintaining your NMC registration while working abroad
Cancelling your NMC registration