Working outside the EU
Working as a nurse or midwife in a country outside the EU
To practise outside the EU, you'll need to register with the relevant licensing authority or registration board in the country or state you want to work in.
Ask for proof that you've been on our register
The registration authority will probably ask you for proof that you've been on our register. We call this a certificate of current professional status (CCPS), but it's also known as a letter of good standing or validation of registration.
You can apply for a certificate of current professional status through your NMC Online account. We no longer issue paper certificates, nor do we complete forms given to us by overseas authorities.
Each CCPS costs £34.
The information we can provide
A certificate of current professional status confirms:
- your full name
- your NMC Pin
- your date of birth
- your registered qualification
- the dates you were on our register
- where and when you trained
- whether there’s a fitness to practise sanction, undertaking or warning against you.
Applying through your NMC Online account means your data is safer than ever before. Read about international transfer of your personal data for more details.
Before you start
You should ask us for a CCPS after you've applied to register in the country you want to practise in.
If you’ve applied to register with more than one licensing authority or registration board, you’ll need to submit a separate request for each.
We'll only charge you for a single CCPS if you've applied to register:
- in Australia and need certificates for both ANMAC and AHPRA - select ANMAC first in your application and then AHPRA in the same application
- in New Zealand and want to practise as both a nurse and midwife as these professions are regulated separately - select both regulators in the same application.
What you'll need
We'll ask you to tell us:
- the country you want to work in
- the name and address of the overseas licensing authority or registration board
- your overseas application reference number (if you have one).
Make your request
- Login to your NMC Online account
- Select 'My Registration'
- Select 'Request a certificate of current professional status'
We’ll email you less than 24 hours after you submit your application to ask you to pay the certificate fee through NMC Online.
Once you've paid the fee, and we have all references we need, we’ll issue your certificate as quickly as we can - usually within 24 hours.
We can’t refund your payment once the CCPS is issued.
What happens next
We’ll upload the CCPS directly to your NMC Online account and email you to let you know that you can see it.
We'll also email the registration authority to tell them we have issued your CCPS and that this is available for them to download from our secure portal.