Log in to NMC Online to update your contact details, such as your name, postal address and email address.

Changing your name

It’s really important that you’re registered using the same name that you practice in. It helps your patients, the public, and employers to find the right information about your registration.

You can update your registered name in your NMC Online account. You’ll need to provide:

  • your new name and title
  • a copy of an official document confirming the name change (see list below for documents we accept)
  • the surname and PIN of a referee who can verify your name change

Choosing a referee

We ask for a reference for extra security. It helps to reduce the risk of fraud, protecting your data and our register.

Your referee has to be another registered nurse, midwife or nursing associate with an NMC Online account.

We’ll email to ask them to confirm your name change within 28 days.

Documents we accept

For all of the documents below, we can only accept files in the following formats: pdf, gif, png, jpg and jpeg.

Please make sure the document is readable when you submit it.

Types of documents we need
Reason for name change Documents we need
I got married or had a civil ceremony, my surname and/or title have changed
  • copy of marriage or civil partnership certificate, or
  • copy of old and new passport
My surname and/or title has changed because of a divorce or dissolution of a civil partnership
  • copy of decree absolute, or
  • change of name deed poll document, or
  • conditional order (final), or
  • copy of old and new passport
I’ve legally changed one of my first names and my surname
  • copy of deed poll document, or
  • statutory declaration, or
  • affidavit, or
  • copy of old and new passport
My details were wrong – I’d like to correct them
  • copy of birth certificate, or
  • copy of passport
I’ve legally changed one of my first names
  • copy of deed poll document, or
  • affidavit, or
  • copy of old and new passport
I’m reverting to a previous surname (for example, a maiden name). I was previously registered with the NMC under this name
  • please sign a statement to confirm that you’ve gone back to your previous surname “for all purposes” and that you’re no longer using your old name
My title has changed (for example, to Doctor)
  • certificate of proof of title

Changing your postal or email address

You can update your postal address, email address or geographical area in the account services section of your NMC Online account.

Our emails may go into your junk email folder so make sure you check it regularly. To stop this, add 'noreply@nmc-uk.org' to your safe senders list.