If you want to work outside the UK, the registration authority in the country or state you want to work in will probably ask you for proof that you've been on our register.

We call this a certificate of current professional status (CCPS), but it's also known as a letter of good standing or validation of registration.

You can request a certificate of current professional status in your NMC Online account.

We don't issue paper certificates or complete forms given to us by other authorities.

The information we can provide

A certificate of current professional status confirms:

  • your full name and registered address
  • your NMC Pin
  • your date of birth
  • the dates you were on our register
  • information about your qualification
  • whether there's a fitness to practise sanction, undertaking or warning against you.

Applying through your NMC Online account means your data is safer than ever before. Read about international transfer of your personal data for more details.

Before you start

You should ask us for a CCPS after you've applied to register in the country you want to practise in.

If you've applied to register with more than one licensing authority or registration board, you'll need to submit a separate request for each.

  • If you're applying to register in Australia and need certificates for both ANMAC and AHPRA, select ANMAC first in your application and then AHPRA in the same application
  • If you're applying to register in New Zealand and want to practise as both a nurse and midwife, select both regulators in the same application.


The UK left the European Union (EU) on 31 January 2020. It then entered into a transition period, which came to an end on 31 December 2020. When we left the EU we were no longer considered a 'competent authority' in EU legislation, so we can no longer issue a CCPS under EU directives.

What you'll need

We'll ask you to tell us:

  • the country you want to work in
  • the name and address of the licensing authority or registration board
  • your overseas application reference number (if you have one).

Make your request

  1. Log in to your NMC Online account
  2. Select 'My Registration'
  3. Select 'Request a certificate of current professional status'

Issuing your certificate

Once we have all references we need, we'll issue your certificate as quickly as we can - usually within 24 hours.

The certificate is only valid for three months from the date we issue it, so you'll need to send this to the relevant authorities while it is still valid.

We'll upload the CCPS directly to your NMC Online account and email you to let you know that you can download it.

We'll also email the registration authority to tell them we have issued your CCPS and that this is available for them to download from our secure portal.

The registration authority can contact us to gain access to the portal if they aren't already signed up.

Related pages