Why we ask for evidence

We need some information about your English language ability to make sure that you’re able to practise safely and effectively.

We ask everyone to provide one form of evidence that shows us how you meet the standards we have set.

This means you’ll either have:

  • recently achieved the required score in one of the English language tests accepted by the NMC - you must achieve the required score in each of the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking.
  • a pre-registration nurse, midwife or nursing associate qualification which was taught and examined in English.
  • recent practice of at least one year in a majority English speaking country.

Our English language guidance sets out the details for each type of evidence and how our requirements can be met. We strongly recommend you read this.

You will need to 

1. Confirm which evidence you have

We'll ask you which of the evidence types you will be using to demonstrate how you meet our English language requirements.

2. Provide your evidence

Using an accepted English language test


If you’re using an IELTS test, you’ll need to provide your IELTS certificate and TRF number. We’ll use this to verify your results when assessing your application.

The TRF number is usually 18 characters long, made up of both numbers and letters. You can find this on your IELTS certificate.

You’ll need to provide both certificates and TRF numbers if you’re using two IELTS tests to meet our requirements.


If you’re using an OET test, you’ll need to provide your OET certificate and candidate number, which we’ll use to verify your results.

You’ll need to provide both certificates if you’re using two OET tests, and we’ll be able to verify these using your candidate number.

It’s important you have given permission for us to verify your OET results before you submit your application through your myOET account otherwise this may delay your application. Find out how to give a verification institution access to your results on the OET website.

Using your training

You’ll need to provide evidence that shows how your training meets our English language requirements, such as a transcript of your training.

If you did not train in a majority English-speaking country, your transcript must confirm that the programme was composed of at least 50 percent clinical interaction. Your transcript must also clearly demonstrate at least 75 percent of that was with patients, service users, their families and other healthcare professionals and must have taken place in English. 

We may also ask for additional information from someone senior at your training institution, such as the Dean or head of department.

If you did not train in a majority English-speaking country, we’ll consider evidence that meets the criteria set out in our English Language guidance, but please be aware that it’s likely that you'll need to provide an alternative type of evidence such as a language test.

What must my transcript include?

A transcript is an official copy of your academic record. It shows all modules you completed as part of your course.

You should provide a personal transcript with your name on it, rather than a generic course syllabus. It should clearly show the breakdown of clinical and theory hours of your course.

I don’t have my transcript

If you didn’t receive a transcript when you graduated, you should contact your training institution to request a copy.

If your training institution has closed down, we recommend that you contact the regulator in your country of training to see if they are able to provide a copy for you.

Using your registered practice

If you have recent practice of one year in a majority English-speaking country, we’ll ask you to give details of your registration, upload a copy of your registration certificate and tell us how your language was assessed to enable registration with your regulator.

You’ll need to show that you have been practising recently to meet our requirements, so you should provide us with your most recent registration certificate.

We’ll ask you to provide details of your employer in the country you were or are currently practising in so we can confirm your employment with them. We’ll also ask them to confirm whether you have the necessary knowledge of English to practise safely and effectively.