What we ask for

Throughout your application, we'll ask you for evidence that shows how you meet our registration requirements.

We strongly recommend you gather your evidence before you start your application. This is so there are no unnecessary delays.

This 'How to register' guide will go through the evidence requirements in the order we’ll ask for them.

Jump to the sections on providing: 

Who needs to take the Test of Competence?

New regulations passed by the UK Government following the UK's departure from the EU allow for certain EU general nursing and midwifery qualifications to be recognised up until the end of 2022.

If you have a relevant European qualification that meets the requirements for automatic recognition, we’ll recognise your qualification and you won’t need to take the Test of Competence.

This applies even if you are not an EU national, but you have a relevant European qualification.

Check if your qualification is on the list of European qualifications that meet the requirements for automatic recognition.

If you do not hold a relevant European qualification, you will need to take a Test of Competence as we cannot recognise your qualification.

Things to be aware of

I don't have my original qualification certificate

We recommend you contact your education institution directly to get another copy or a statement from them confirming the qualification you completed.

My certificate is not in English

For every document that is not in English, you must provide:

  • the original document
  • a photocopy of the original document stamped and signed by a translation service
  • a complete and accurate English translation with the photocopy of the original document, also stamped and signed by the translation service.
  • the contact details of the translation service or translator used.

We won't be able to accept your document without these.

My name is different on my qualification evidence

You’ll need to upload further evidence if your qualification is in a different name to the one on your application, so we can see why you’ve changed your name and confirm your identity.

Examples of further evidence include a marriage, civil partnership or divorce certificate, or a deed poll notification.

Your name change evidence should be issued by the relevant official body and should clearly show your previous and new name(s). You can upload a scanned copy, but we’ll need to see the original version at your face-to-face verification check.

My regulator no longer issues certificates

If your regulator no longer issues registration certificates, we recommend you upload a statement of entry to the register from your regulator instead.

Contact your verifiers before you begin

Make sure you contact your referees or verifiers before submitting your application to let them know you’re applying for registration with us, get consent to share their contact details with us and make sure you’re providing the correct details.

Your application may be delayed if you don’t contact them, as we’ll only be able to evaluate your qualification once we’ve received the information we need from your referees or verifiers.