We held some webinars covering different aspects of the new test. You can watch the recordings and download slides for each of the webinars.
Candidate information booklets
These booklets give an overview of the CBT and OSCE, what candidates should expect on the day and how they can prepare.
- Test of Competence 2021: CBT information booklet for nurses
- Test of Competence 2021: CBT information booklet for midwives
- Test of Competence 2021: OSCE information booklet for nurses
- Test of Competence 2021: OSCE information booklet for midwives
Test specifications show how the test is designed, what it will assess and how, and how results will be produced and presented.
- Test of Competence 2021: Midwifery test specification
- Test of Competence 2021: Nursing test specification
These blueprints show how the relevant standards of proficiency and associated skills and procedures may be tested in either the CBT, OSCE or both parts.
- Test of Competence 2021: Midwifery blueprint
- Test of Competence 2021: Adult nursing blueprint
- Test of Competence 2021: Children's nursing blueprint
- Test of Competence 2021: Learning disabilities nursing blueprint
- Test of Competence 2021: Mental health nursing blueprint
Other support materials
You can find CBT practice tests on Pearson VUE's website. They are accessible to all and do not need to be booked.
Taking these practice tests will help you check your understanding and readiness for the new CBT and learn more about the question format, style and level of difficulty.
You can find a pack of OSCE support materials, including OSCE marking criteria, mock exams and resource lists, on our approved OSCE test provider websites:
- Oxford Brookes University
- University of Northampton
- Ulster University
- Northumbria University
- Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
Who is AlphaPlus?
AlphaPlus is a specialist education and assessment consultancy whose work spans the public and private sectors, schools, colleges, vocational and professional learning.
They work with many professional certification agencies similar to NMC and ensure their clients' assessments are valid, reliable and fair to the candidates.
We've been working extremely closely with AlphaPlus and our CBT and OSCE delivery partners to plan and prepare for the new test.