Please visit for information about temporary registration and changes to how we’re operating during this time.


HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) allow individuals to claim tax relief on professional subscriptions or fees which have to be paid in order to carry out a job. This includes our registration fees. You are able to claim for the last four years and claims may only be made where you pay the fee yourself. For information about payments you have made, including printing payment receipts, log onto your NMC Online account.

Currently, you are eligible for £24 tax relief on the annual registration fee of £120, if you are a basic rate UK taxpayer.

You can also claim tax relief for subscriptions to some professional bodies and trade unions if they are included on this list You may also be able to claim for laundering of your uniform (if your employer does not provide you with free laundry facilities or cleaning vouchers) and for tights and shoes purchased as part of your uniform.

You can only claim tax relief via HMRC – we cannot do this for you.

How to claim tax relief

If you don’t fill in a personal tax return yourself, you can get tax relief by contacting HMRC via letter or phone. See the HMRC website for further details.

If you do fill in a personal tax return, you can claim for tax relief on the employment page of the return.

Please see the HMRC website for details of the time limits for receiving tax relief on payments in previous years.

HMRC does not normally require written confirmation from us of the payments you have made. However, we can provide your payment history over the phone on 020 7333 9333.