On 25 January 2023, Council approved changes to our education programme standards for nursing and midwifery. These updated standards are a culmination of co-production work between the NMC and our subject matter expert groups, as well as from stakeholder responses collected during evidence gathering over the past two years.
Changes to the standards
Key changes to the standards include increasing flexibility around simulated learning for nurses, and giving education providers more independence to allow them to set more inclusive entry requirements to nursing and midwifery programmes. You can find a summary of all the changes made to the standards in our Council papers.
The updated standards will need to be implemented by Approved education institutions (AEIs) over the next two years.
Our pre-2023 standards for education and training can still be used until January 2025. However, we encourage AEIs to make relevant changes to their programmes in line with our updated standards as soon as they can.
Pre-2023 standards for education and training
Standards in English:
Standards in Welsh:
- Part 1 Standards framework for nursing and midwifery education (pre-2023)
- Part 2 Standards for student supervision and assessment (pre-2023)
- Part 3 Standards for pre-registration nursing programmes (pre-2023)
- Part 3 Standards for pre-registration midwifery programmes (pre-2023)
- Part 3 Standards for prescribing programmes (pre-2023)
- Part 3 Standards for return to practice programmes (pre-2023)
- Part 3 Standards for post-registration programmes (pre-2023)