We're here to offer support to any patient, service user, family member, or a member of the public who has raised concerns about a nurse, midwife or nursing associate on our register, that we've decided to investigate.
What to expect when you contact us
When you contact the Public support service (PSS), a public support officer will offer to meet with you to explain what happens when we investigate a nurse, midwife or nursing associate and what the possible outcomes might be. Or you can discuss things over the phone if it's easier.
This discussion gives you the opportunity to ask us anything you're unsure about, and it gives us a chance to make sure we fully understand your concerns, ensure that we have all the relevant information to help us investigate, and we can also provide details of other organisations that can offer further help.
NMC staff who help during the process
The public support officer
- ensures we understand your concerns and explains the investigation process and the possible outcomes
- ensures you understand the role of the NMC and what we can do
- informs you of other organisations who may be able to help with concerns that we can’t help with
- offers to meet you at the end of the investigation or hearing to explain the decision.
The investigation officer
- handles the investigation from start to finish
- will be your main point of contact throughout the investigation
- collects and shares information and evidence to support the investigation
- updates you on the progress of the investigation.
How we explain the outcome of our investigation
After we have decided what needs to happen about the nurse, midwife or nursing associate, a public support officer will offer to meet with you again.
This meeting will either be at the end of the investigation or at the end of a fitness to practise hearing.
The public support officer will explain the outcome of our investigation and be able to provide details of other organisations that can offer further help.
You can bring a friend, family member or supporter to the meeting.
Where are the meetings held?
We hold face to face meetings at NMC offices in London, or we can have a telephone meeting if you prefer.
If you do travel to our offices, we will reimburse reasonable travel costs for you and a friend, family member or supporter who you may wish to bring with you.