Please visit for information about temporary registration and changes to how we’re operating during this time.


The UK has now left the European Union (EU) and we have now entered into a transition period until 31 December 2020.

We know that you may have questions about how the United Kingdom's (UK) withdrawal from the European Union (EU) will affect EU, European Free Trade Area (EFTA) and Swiss nurses, midwives and nursing associates working in the UK and those wishing to join our register in the future.

When we talk about EFTA nurses, midwives and nursing associates we mean people who are from Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Below is some information that sets out what this transition period will mean for those on or applying to our register.

For those already on our register

We want to reassure everyone that EU, EFTA and Swiss trained nurses, midwives and nursing associates working and living in the UK will continue to be registered with us.

You will continue to be a highly valued part of the nursing and midwifery professions, delivering quality care to patients and the public even though the UK has left the EU.

Please know that if you're already on our register there is nothing more that you need to do.

For those applying to join our register who trained in the EU

Applied to our register before 31 January 2020

If you're in the process of applying to register with us, your application will continue to be processed.

Applying to our register after 31 January 2020

On 31 January 2020, the UK will enter into a transition period until 31 December 2020.

During this time there will be no change to the way we register nurses, midwives and nursing associates from the EU, EFTA and Switzerland. There will also be no change to the way UK nurses, midwives and nursing associates can apply to register to work in other EU countries.

What will happen after 31 December 2020?

The transition period lasts until 31 December 2020. The UK Government has until this date to negotiate a future relationship with the EU.

Until these negotiations take place, we will not know how our future registration process will be affected or work. We will update this page as soon as we have further information.

Applying for settled status in the UK

If you’re an EU, EFTA or Swiss citizen, and if you've not done so already, you and your family will need to apply for UK immigration status under the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. For more information visit the EU Settlement Scheme website.

If you are an Irish citizen, you will not need to apply for settled or pre-settled status as your rights are protected in the Common Travel Area agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

If you're working or looking to work in the EU

If you're a UK-trained nurse, midwife or nursing associate and you are already registered by an EU member state your registration in that country will not be affected.

If you want to apply for registration in an EU member state the process for doing this will remain unchanged throughout the transition period, until 31 December 2020.