We understand that deciding to apply for registration in a new country is a big commitment. We’re here to support you to deliver the highest standard of care throughout your career.
Before starting your application for registration as a nursing associate in England, we recommend you read the following information carefully.
It sets out our registration requirements and gives an overview of the application process, so you know what we'll ask you for and what you can expect along the way.
About the nursing associate role
A nursing associate is a member of the nursing team in England that helps bridge the gap between health and care assistants and registered nurses.
Nursing associates may work with people of all ages, in a variety of settings within health and social care and across the fields of nursing, whereas nurses may develop additional skills and knowledge within a specific field of nursing.
We set the standards for nursing associate programmes and register nursing associates in England only. If you want to work as a nursing associate in England, you'll need to register with us first.
The application process is split into different stages. We'll ask you to provide information throughout so that we can:
- confirm you're eligible to apply
- ensure you meet our health and character requirements to make sure you're capable of safe and effective practice
- ensure you have the necessary knowledge of English to practise safely and effectively.
You'll also need to:
- successfully complete both parts of the Test of Competence
- confirm you've an appropriate indemnity arrangement in place (or you will do when you're working as a nursing associate)
- attend a face-to-face verification check once you're in England.