This document provides guidance for nurses, midwives and nursing associates on raising concerns (which includes ‘whistleblowing’).
It explains the processes you should follow when raising a concern, provides information about the legislation in this area, and tells you where you can get confidential support and advice.
About the guidance
The guidance is supported by Helene Donnelly, ambassador for cultural change at Staffordshire and Stoke-On-Trent Partnership NHS Trust, who spoke to our Council about raising concerns. Helene's talk is available to watch below and on our YouTube channel.
The guidance was the first of our publications to achieve the Plain English campaign's Crystal Mark for clarity.
- Guidance for employers
- Public Interest Disclosure Act 1998
- Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013
- Public Interest Disclosure (Prescribed Persons) (Amendment) Order (Northern Ireland) 2014
- Confidentiality: NHS Code of Practice (2003) and its supplementary code of practice on public interest disclosures (2010)
- Raising concerns at work from NHS Employers’