The NMC website and our Overseas Portal will be unavailable from 07:15am - 10:00am on Saturday 16 January while we carry out essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Please visit for information about temporary registration and changes to how we’re operating during this time.


If you want to work in another EU or EEA country, you'll need to register with the relevant EU registration authority in the country or state you want to work in.

Ask for proof that you've been on our register

The registration authority will probably ask you for proof that you've been on our register. We call this a certificate of current professional status (CCPS), but it's also known as a letter of good standing or validation of registration.

You can apply for a certificate of current professional status in your NMC Online account. We no longer issue paper certificates, nor do we complete forms given to us by overseas authorities.

Each CCPS costs £34.

The information we can provide

A certificate of current professional status confirms:

  • your full name and registered address
  • your NMC Pin
  • your date of birth
  • your registered qualification
  • the dates you were on our register
  • where and when you trained
  • whether there’s a fitness to practise sanction, undertaking or warning against you.

Applying through your NMC Online account means your data is safer than ever before. Read about international transfer of your personal data for more details.

Before you start

You should ask us for a CCPS after you've applied to register in the country you want to practise in.

If you’re registered with us but you trained in another EU country, you’ll need to contact that country for a CCPS. You can also ask us for a CCPS to confirm that you’re currently on our register.

If you’ve applied to register with more than one licensing authority or registration board, you’ll need to submit a separate request for each.

What you need to do

We'll ask you to tell us:

  • the EU country you want to work in
  • your EU application reference number (if you have one).

We may also ask you for your employer's name and email address to get references if you started a:

  • three year nursing training programme in the UK before 29 September 1979
  • 12 month or three year midwifery training programme in the UK before 23 January 1983
  • 18 month midwifery training programme in the UK after 23 January 1983.

If we don’t already have evidence confirming your nationality, we’ll also ask you for this. 

Make your request

  1. Login to your NMC Online account
  2. Select 'My Registration'
  3. Select 'Request a certificate of current professional status'

We’ll email you less than 24 hours after you submit your application to ask you to pay the certificate fee through NMC Online.

Once you've paid the fee, and we have all references we need, we’ll issue your certificate as quickly as we can - usually within 24 hours.

We can’t refund your payment once the CCPS is issued.

What happens next

We’ll upload the CCPS directly to your NMC Online account and email you to let you know that you can download it. The certificate is only valid for three months from the date we issue it, so you'll need to send this to the relevant authorities while it is still valid. You may also need to have the certificate translated.

The registration authorities in Denmark, Norway, Republic of Ireland and Switzerland ask that we send the CCPS to them directly. So we’ll email the regulation authority to let them know the CCPS is ready for them to view or download. We'll also email you to let you know that we've issued the CCPS to them and you'll be able to see the certificate in your NMC Online account.

If you’re registered as both a nurse and midwife and need references for your midwifery practise, we'll issue the CCPS for nursing while we wait for your midwifery references.