Please visit for information about temporary registration and changes to how we’re operating during this time.


Register as a nurse or midwife if you trained in the EU/EEA

Changes in light of coronavirus (Covid-19)

Due to the coronavirus pandemic our office buildings are closed to visitors until further notice.

Postal and courier deliveries to our offices will be affected during this time. Documents are taking slightly longer than normal to reach us so we that can update application files. Please bear with us.

We also understand that applicants may be having difficulty getting supporting documents for their registration application because of restrictions in place globally. If you’re not able to provide your evidence right now, please contact us to see how we may be able to support you.

EU exit transition period

The UK has now left the European Union. We have entered into a transition period until 31 December 2020. Until the end of the transition period (31 December 2020), there will be no change to the way we register nurses, midwives and nursing associates who hold a qualification gained in an EU, EEA or EFTA country.

Find out more about how Brexit may affect your application to join our register.

If you trained in an EU or EEA member state, you’ll need to apply for recognition of your qualification and meet additional requirements before we can register you.

Before you start

We've produced some guidance for nurses and midwives trained in the EU/EEA explaining the application process.

You should read this in full before you submit your application as it explains what information you will need to provide.

You may also find the following guidance helpful:

EU nationals trained outside of the EEA

If you trained outside the EEA, but are a national of an EEA member state, you will be eligible to apply through the EU registration route if you have registered and practised for at least three years in another EEA member state.

If you haven’t practised for a minimum of three years in an EEA member state, you’ll need to apply through our overseas registration process.

Non-EEA nationals relying on enforceable community rights

Enforceable community rights apply to non-EU nationals who are either a dependant spouse or legal partner of an EU national, and are relocating from one EEA member state to another as a family unit.


If you’re an Indian national married to an Italian national and are residing in Italy and decide to move to the UK, then you may be eligible for enforceable community rights.

If you’re not relocating from one EEA member state to another as a family unit, you will not be eligible for enforceable community rights.

If you believe you may be eligible for enforceable community rights, we recommend you contact us before you start your application to discuss this with us.

Submit your application

There are different ways to apply for recognition of your qualification and registration with us, depending on your circumstances.

If you have not applied before

If this is your first time applying for recognition of your qualification and registration with us, you'll need to complete our online application form.

Once you have applied, we’ll give you a Personal Reference Number (PRN). You will need this every time you contact us, so we can access your application details.

If you have applied before

If you’ve applied for an EU pack before and were given a PRN, you will need to sign up for an NMC Online account using this PRN. You will then be able to start a new application. You must use the PRN we’ve given you, otherwise you’ll end up with multiple online accounts.

If you have previously had your qualification recognised by us, but you didn’t complete the registration application in the time given, you’ll need to complete a post-recognition application pack. You can request an application pack by emailing

If you’re registered with us and you want to add an additional nursing or midwifery qualification to the register, you’ll need to complete a subsequent application pack. You can request a subsequent application pack by emailing

If you have a European Professional Card

If you're a nurse responsible for general care, you can  have a apply for a European Professional Card (EPC) through the EU’s online portal to get your professional qualification recognised by us. 

Once you’ve been issued with an EPC, you’ll need to apply for registration with us before you can practise in the UK.

To do this, you should request a post-recognition application pack by emailing

Our emails may go into your junk email folder so make sure you check this regularly. To stop this from happening, add ‘’ to your safe senders list.

Pay the assessment fee

You’ll need to pay a £110 application assessment fee.

This is to cover the administration costs of processing your application and we cannot assess your application without this fee.

If your application is accepted, you’ll also need to pay our registration fee.

How we'll assess your application

There are three steps to our application process. We’ll assess if your application meets the requirements of all three steps before you can gain entry to our register and be allowed to practise in the UK.

Step 1: Assessment and recognition of qualifications

We’ll assess if your qualification meets the requirements for automatic recognition, or if you meet the requirements for acquired rights.

Read more about these requirements in our guidance for nurses and midwives trained in the EU/EEA.

Compensation measures

If your training or experience does not meet our requirements for practising in UK, you may have the option of undertaking either an adaptation programme or an aptitude test to make up any shortfall.  

Step 2: English language requirements

You’ll need to provide evidence that you have the necessary knowledge of English.

Find out more about our language requirements.

Step 3: Application for entry to the register

Once we’re satisfied that you have the necessary knowledge of English to practise safely and effectively, you can complete your registration as a nurse or a midwife.

You'll be able to download the application documents from your NMC Online account.

At this stage, you’ll need to make a declaration and pay the registration fee of £120. 

Finding work in the UK

Once you are registered, you will be able to work as a registered nurse or midwife in the UK. We cannot help you find work.

Potential employers will check your registration status, but registration does not guarantee you a job.