To work as a nurse of midwife in the UK, or as a nursing associate in England, you must be registered with us. In order to register with us, we ask that professionals show us they can meet the standards we set.

Applying to register in a new country can be challenging. And that’s especially true if you have been forcibly displaced from where you live. It might make meeting our requirements in the usual way particularly difficult. 

This may be because documents that we ask for have been lost or destroyed in the process of moving. It could also be because we can’t contact third parties to verify the information provided to us, either because the organisation no longer exists, or because it may not be safe for us to do so.

We want to do all that we can to support people through their application process, and we want to make the process as clear and simple as possible. 

These pages set out what our international application process entails and what additional support is available to you if you have been forcibly displaced. This includes information about alternative evidence we may consider in support of your application. We recommend that you read this information carefully before starting your application to join the register, so that you know what to expect throughout the process. 

It’s important to note that any alternative evidence submitted must demonstrate that you meet our registration requirements for safe, kind and effective practice. This means that, while we want to do all that we can to help you through the process, if we are not confident that you have provided us with the information necessary to demonstrate your eligible to practice, then we will not be able to admit you onto the register.

Who is a forcibly displaced person?

A forcibly displaced person is anyone that is forced to move across borders, due to armed conflict, persecution, terrorism, human rights violations and abuses, violence or a combination of these factors.

This includes people that have been granted international protection in the UK, including asylum and indefinite leave to remain (refugee status, humanitarian protection or discretionary leave).

This also includes people who do not have international protection, but who might otherwise be considered forcibly displaced and can demonstrate that they may find it difficult to provide evidence in support of their registration application in the usual way.

For more information about who is eligible for support and what evidence you will need to provide to demonstrate this, take a look at our policy on handling registration applications