New guide to help people keep safe when getting medicines or treatment online
Find out what you should consider when going online for medicines or treatment
In partnership with the General Pharmaceutical Council and other UK health organisations*, the NMC is helping to launch a new guide for people to make sure that medicines or treatment they get online are safe and right for them.
The guide includes six top tips for anyone going online for medicines or treatment:
- Check if the online healthcare service and healthcare professionals working there are registered with UK regulators.
- Ask questions about how the service works
- Answer questions honestly about your health and medical history
- Find out your options for treatment and how to take any medicines you’re prescribed
- Expect to be asked for consent for information to be shared with other healthcare professionals involved in your care
- Check what after-care you will receive
The guide also gives details about what questions to ask when using online health services. It includes links to supporting information, such as how to check if an online service or health professional is regulated and what standards you can expect from health professionals providing remote consultations or prescribing online.
The advice within the guide was developed by leading health organisations using insights from concerns raised with them by patients and the public about online healthcare services, as well as direct feedback from patients and the public.
*The guide is supported by nine leading health organisations which regulate or represent medicines, health professionals or health services across the UK:
Care Quality Commission, Healthcare Improvement Scotland, Healthcare Improvement Wales, General Medical Council, General Pharmaceutical Council, Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, Nursing and Midwifery Council, Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society.
Other recent news…
Read the latest information
Read our update
Find out more about our news and guest articles this month