Statement: Principles for nursing and midwifery students during the next phase of the Covid-19 pandemic
Published on 23 November 2020
Read the joint statement
As the COVID-19 pandemic progresses to a second wave across the UK, students have been asking for clarity on how government guidance impacts them.
We want to continue to support students to successfully complete their programmes on time.
We appreciate that practice placements will be under increased pressure. A number of the Nursing and Midwifery Council’s (NMC) standards for education and training have already been amended to provide greater flexibility for education and healthcare providers. This has allowed them to adopt innovative ways of providing practice placements in these challenging times.
At the current time it is not planned to return to the previous emergency standards, so we are maintaining the supernumerary status for all students.
This means that students are not being deployed into paid placements as was the case earlier in the year. Each of the four countries will be reviewing how we can support final year students who have completed their programme hours and course requirements to become employed as fully registered nurses and midwives as quickly as possible.
We will continue to monitor the situation to determine whether the implementation of further changes may be necessary. Any such changes will be developed in collaboration with key partners, and our priority will be to keep students fully informed about these.
We would like to take this opportunity to reiterate our thanks to all of you for your continuing commitment during this time. We will all continue to work collaboratively in order to find the best possible solutions that support students, nursing and midwifery professionals, and the public.
Ruth May, Chief Nursing Officer, England
Charlotte McArdle, Chief Nursing Officer, Northern Ireland
Fiona McQueen, Chief Nursing Officer, Scotland
Jean White, Chief Nursing Officer, Wales
Andrea Sutcliffe, Chief Executive and Registrar, NMC
For more detailed information and guidance about students please see the following resources:
- England: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-covid-19-information-nurses
- Scotland: https://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/our-work/covid-19-supervision-and-assessment-nursing-and-midwifery/
- Northern Ireland: https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/publications/deployment-guidance-nursing-and-midwifery-students
- English: https://heiw.nhs.wales/files/all-wales-covid-19-placement-recovery-principles
- Welsh: https://aagic.gig.cymru/files/egwyddorion-adfer-lleoliadau-covid-19-cymru-gyfan
- English: https://heiw.nhs.wales/files/covid-19-the-all-wales-healthcare-student-pact
- Welsh: https://aagic.gig.cymru/files/covid-19-the-all-wales-healthcare-student-pact
Other recent news…
Published on 27 September 2021
We received 192 whistleblowing disclosures in 2020–2021. That’s compared to 107 disclosures received the previous year.
Published on 24 September 2021
Find out more below
Published on 23 September 2021
Read a guest article by a student nurse about their recent elective placement at the NMC