We aim to provide the best possible service, but we know that sometimes we get things wrong.
Your feedback will help us to improve and ensure we’re responding to your concerns the best we can.
Before you start
For some services, there are different ways to give feedback or make a complaint. Our complaints process cannot be used to change the outcome of a fitness to practise case, but we will try to help if you’re not sure about what to do next.
If your feedback or complaint is about:
- a nurse, midwife or nursing associate on our register, make a referral
- A decision in a case: When we make a decision in a case, we will include information about what do if you are not happy with the outcome. If you are not sure, you can contact your case officer who will be able to advise you on the best course of action.
- the outcome of a fitness to practise case, raise it with the case officer
- information disclosure decisions under data protection legislation, see our Data Protection and Freedom of Information section
- contractual or commercial disputes with us, contact the contract manager you've been dealing with.
- working for the NMC, contact our Human Resources team or raise a whistleblowing concern
We’ll deal with other complaints about us under our corporate complaints process.
Speak to the person you've been dealing with first
We’d encourage you to first contact the person you’ve been dealing with at the NMC and tell them the issue. They should be able to help you resolve this.
Making a complaint
If you haven't been able to resolve your complaint, please get in touch using our online form.
You can also do this on behalf of a relative or family member.
Please do this as soon as possible after the event occurs.
We normally only investigate complaints within 12 months of the event or when it came to your attention.
You can also contact us by phone if you cannot use the online form:
Telephone: 020 7681 5830
Download our "How to make a complaint" easy read document
How we'll handle your complaint
- We'll send you an acknowledgement within two working days.
- We'll also call you to discuss your concerns and confirm what happens next.
- We'll try to resolve your complaint in five working days, but it may take longer if we need to carry out an investigation.
- We’ll give you the name and contact details of the person handling your complaint.
- Once we fully understand your complaint and your desired outcome, we’ll carry out our investigation and respond to you within 20 working days.
- If we need more time to investigate your complaint, we’ll let you know.
If you’re unhappy with the outcome
We’re happy to discuss any further questions you have over the telephone.
However, we’ll only reopen the complaint if you have new evidence for us to consider. You can provide further information by calling us on 020 7681 5830.
Respect for our staff
We welcome you raising concerns or complaints about our work. And we want to support you to do this. However we will not tolerate unreasonable or unacceptable behaviour towards our staff.
We ask that you are polite and respectful when contacting us.
If we consider your behaviour to be unacceptable, we'll discuss this with you and ask you to stop. If your behaviour continues we may decide to take action to manage or restrict your contact with the NMC.
You can read more about this process in our Unreasonable or unacceptable behaviour policy.