Nursing associate consultation
The nursing associate regulation consultation is closed. It ran for 12 weeks from 9 April until 2 July 2018.
A big thank you to everyone who submitted a response. All of your responses are now being analysed and will help us to confirm the regulatory approach for the new nursing associate profession.
How we consulted
We engaged with different stakeholders in a wide variety of ways, including holding:
- two webinars and a twitter chat to give background to the consultation and answer queries
- three workshops in Manchester, London and Birmingham with a combination of healthcare professionals, educators, employers and nursing associate students
- two events for patients and the public in Manchester and London
- focus groups with parents of young children and a focus group with young people
- interviews with people with learning disabilities
- working group discussions on specific elements of the consultation where necessary
What happens next?
All consultation responses and the views expressed during the engagement activities will be included in our consultation analysis.
Following this analysis, our standards and approach to regulating nursing associates will be finalised for approval by our Council in September 2018. We expect to publish the finalised standards in October 2018.
Need further information?
If you’d like to see the nursing associate consultation questions, including all background information, this is still available. However please note that we’re not able to accept responses now as the consultation is closed.
You may also wish to refer to the following documents which were published when we launched the consultation:
- Standards of proficiency for nursing associates DRAFT - April 2018
- Standards for pre-registration nursing associate programmes DRAFT - April 2018
For more background and information on the NMC’s proposed approach to regulating nursing associates please visit our nursing associate hub.
If have any questions or wish to get in touch with the team please email us.