CBT validity periods
We're automatically extending the validity of CBT results due to expire between 1 March and 31 August 2021 by six months. You don't need to contact us to have this change applied to your application - we're updating this for you.
If we already automatically extended your CBT results validity period in 2020, this won't be extended again. If your CBT results expired between 1 January and 28 February 2021, you can contact us to request an extension if you need it.
Part one of the Test of Competence is a computer based test known as the CBT.
You can sit your CBT or OSCE in any order, but you must successfully complete both parts to continue with your application for initial registration or readmission.
When to book your CBT
Our CBT test provider is Pearson VUE. They have test centres in most countries around the world.
Applying for initial registration
Once we've confirmed that you need to take the Test of Competence, you can book and pay for your CBT directly with Pearson VUE.
Applying for readmission
You can book the Test of Competence in your NMC Online account.
We’ll then send you an email with details of how to book and pay for your CBT with Pearson VUE.
Changes to CBT booking process
We're making some changes to the CBT booking process for nurses and midwives ahead of the launch of the new Test of Competence.
- Bookings closed for the current CBT on 18 July.
- If you're eligible to take the current CBT after bookings closed on 18 July, you need to contact the ToC team at ToC@nmc-uk.org who will be able to arrange this for you.
- Do not book your CBT via your Pearson Vue account after 19 July if you're taking the current CBT, as the appointments will be for the new CBT only.
- If you started an application via our old overseas process before 7 October 2019 and your CBT is due to expire, you must contact ToC@nmc-uk.org and we will arrange another authorisation to resit the current CBT if you have an OSCE decision letter. Please do not rebook your CBT via your Pearson VUE account.
If you have any questions about booking your CBT, please contact the ToC team at ToC@nmc-uk.org.
Preparing for your CBT
The CBT is made up of 120 multiple choice questions.
We suggest you read the following to prepare for your CBT:
- ToC test blueprints - these explain how our standards may be tested by the CBT or OSCE
- The Code - these are the professional standards that everyone on our register must uphold throughout their practice.
Candidate information booklets
- CBT candidate information booklet for nurses and midwives
- CBT candidate information booklet for nursing associates
What to expect on the day
The CBT candidate information booklet explains what you can expect throughout the entire CBT process.
Verifying your identity
You will need to show the test centre your valid passport so that they can verify your identity. This must be the same passport that you provided earlier in your application.
If you get a new passport in the meantime, please contact us and we'll update this information within seven working days.
If your CBT is in less than seven working days, please call us on 020 7333 6600.
Getting your result
You can see your CBT results in your Pearson Vue account 48 hours after you sit your test.
Once you have successfully passed your CBT, your NMC Online account will also update to show this.
Test centre staff do not have access to your examination results.
Resitting the CBT
You can take a maximum of three CBT attempts as part of your application, but you’ll need to wait at least 10 days between each sitting.
If you do not pass your CBT on your third attempt, your application will close and you’ll need to start a new application if you want to register with us.
Questions about your CBT
If you have a query about your CBT booking or exam results, please contact Pearson VUE.