Temporary and occasional registration

Under EU legislation nurses and midwives can apply to work in the UK on a temporary and occasional basis

What do we mean by temporary and occasional services?

In the UK, temporary and occasional service provision is governed by The European Union (Recognition of Professional Qualifications) Regulations 2015, which gives effect to Directive 2005/36/EC.

In order to be eligible for temporary and occasional service provision, you must be:

  • a citizen of a relevant EEA member state or Switzerland or hold European Community rights
  • currently established and allowed to practise as a nurse or midwife without restriction in another EEA country
  • intending to be present in the UK to provide nursing or midwifery service on both a temporary and occasional basis

Your intended practice in the UK must be both temporary and occasional to be entitled to this type of registration.

Temporary practice:

  • is not a permanent or fixed term contract or agreement to provide services on:
    • a regular basis
    • a frequent basis
    • a continuous basis
  • is not for an indefinite period

Occasional practice:

  • is not regular
  • is not frequent
  • is not continuous

Temporary and occasional service applications are assessed on a case-by-case basis against the combined criteria of:

  • duration: the time the service takes to perform
  • frequency: the rate of occurrence, which may be the interval between visits
  • regularity: how regular the service provision is, and whether it is constant or at fixed intervals
  • continuity: whether the services are provided in a continuous period or sporadically over a period of time

Examples of the kind of provision of services that might be considered temporary and occasional include:

  • providing services for a sports team by visiting the UK sporadically and infrequently
  • undertaking services for a short period of time in cases of a national emergency
  • coming over to the UK to deliver a friend or family member's baby

If you do not believe that your intended practice fulfils these criteria, then you can still apply for full registration.

Applying to provide temporary and occasional services

If you would like to make a declaration to provide services, please contact our EU registrations team at EU.enquiries@nmc-uk.org