NMC welcomes new Council Chair
1 March 2018
Philip Graf has been appointed Chair of the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). He will take up the role on 1 May 2018 when Dame Janet Finch’s term of office comes to an end.
As Chair of the Education Development Trust, former Chair of the Gambling Commission, former Deputy Chair of OFCOM and with a twenty year career in the media industry, Philip brings a wealth of experience and expertise, together with a passionate commitment to public protection.
Philip will lead the NMC’s governing Council, setting strategy, overseeing governance and, in partnership with the Chief Executive, engaging with Governments and stakeholders across the UK.
Jackie Smith, NMC Chief Executive and Registrar, said:
“I am very pleased to welcome Philip Graf as our new Chair. I know that Philip’s extensive experience of regulation, strategic insight and ambassadorial skills will ensure the NMC continues to be a forward looking, dynamic regulator, and make him a worthy successor to Dame Janet Finch.
“We are indebted to Dame Janet who has led the NMC through a period of considerable progress, overseeing significant achievements, such as the introduction of revalidation, over the past three years. We wish Janet all the best for the future.”
Commenting on his appointment as Chair, Philip Graf said:
“I am delighted to have been appointed Chair of the Nursing and Midwifery Council. Health care and delivering public good are both close to my heart and this is the perfect opportunity to bring both together.
“This is an exciting time to join the NMC, as it looks to set the standards that will shape the nurses and midwives of the future and take on regulation of a brand new profession - nursing associates. I look forward to engaging with all our many stakeholders in England, Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland about how the way we regulate can continue to improve protection for patients and the public."
Notes for editors
- For media enquiries, please contact NMC press office on 020 7681 5649 or email email@example.com.
- The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) is the independent professional regulator for nurses and midwives in the UK. We exist to protect the public. We do this by maintaining the register of qualified nurses and midwives and setting standards of education, training, conduct and performance. We make sure that nurses and midwives keep their skills and knowledge up to date through a regular revalidation process. If concerns are raised about the standards of a registered nurse or midwife, we have a duty to investigate and, where necessary, take action to protect the public.
- The Chair and Council members are appointed by the Privy Council. The new Chair has been appointed following a rigorous open competition and selection process.
- Philip Graf is currently Chair of the Education Development Trust which works to give young people a future by improving education around the world and an Independent Director of the Copyright Licensing Agency. He was Chair of the Gambling Commission until 2016; and previously a former Deputy Chair of Ofcom; and former Vice-Chair of CRISIS, the homeless Charity. Prior to that he spent over twenty years in the media industry culminating in CEO of Trinity Mirror, plc.
- The Council is responsible for setting the strategic direction of the NMC, for ensuring it is focussed on protecting patients and the public, and for overseeing its work. It is made up of six lay and six registrant members, including at least one from each of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.