Registration services move online
16 June 2014
From June, all nurses and midwives will be able to use new, online facilities. NMC Online allows nurses and midwives to view their registration record online and submit their Notification of Practice forms directly to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
Alison Sansome, Director of Registration, explained:
“Moving registration services online is a much needed modernisation to our systems. It will help us to become a more efficient regulator, and will greatly improve the level of customer service we can provide to nurses and midwives.”
Once they set up their online access nurses and midwives will now be able to:
- Complete their notification of practice form online.*
- Change their contact information online.**
- Provide equality and diversity information.
- Print statements of entry.
NMC Online also works from users’ mobile phones and tablets.
More online facilities, such as initial registration services for those joining the register for the first time, will be rolled out in due course.
Notes for editors
1. We are the nursing and midwifery regulator for England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Islands. We exist to safeguard the health and wellbeing of the public. We set standards of education, training, conduct and performance for nurses and midwives, and hold the register of those who have qualified and meet those standards. We provide guidance to help nurses and midwives keep their skills and knowledge up to date and uphold our professional standards. We have clear and transparent processes to investigate and deal with nurses and midwives who fall short of our standards
2. We have produced a guidance document for nurses and midwives on how to use the new service.
3. 10,000 nurses and midwives were invited to pilot the service from December 2013.
4. Nearly 20,000 nurses and midwives will renew their registration each month. The busiest month is September, when 50,000 will renew their registration.
5. *The NMC received nearly 10,000 requests for changes of address in March 2014.
6. For media enquiries, please contact the NMC media team at email@example.com or on 020 7681 5649.