2016-2017 annual reports and accounts published
Latest reports now available
These reports mark another successful year for the NMC and highlight the substantial amount of positive work undertaken.
The first year of revalidation has been a huge success with over 200,000 nurses and midwives successfully renewing their registration. Early indications show it is having a positive impact on nurses and midwives – improving their knowledge and bringing the Code to life.
In December 2016 we also received our most positive review to date from the Professional Standards Authority (PSA). The review recognised the significant progress we have made as an organisation and praised us for our introduction of revalidation and the improvements we have made to our fitness to practise function.
We will continue to build on these significant achievements over the coming year.
In the past year the NMC has:
- Seen more than 200,000 nurses and midwives successfully revalidate within the first year of this new process.
- Completed 98.2 percent of UK registration applications within 10 days exceeding our target of 95 percent.
- Completed 94 percent of EU/overseas registration applications within our target of 68 days.
- Worked with nurses, midwives, educators, students, patients and the public to develop new proposed education standards.
- Agreed to regulate nursing associates, a new role in England, after being asked by the government.
- Worked with the Chief Nursing Officers across the four countries to make sure that the positive elements of midwifery supervision were kept when supervision was removed from our legislation.
- Worked with the Government to agreed changes our legislation that set out how we can conclude fitness to practise cases. This means that from July 28 2017 case examiners will get new powers that will make fitness to practise more proportionate and efficient.
Other recent news…
693,618 nurses and midwives are registered to work in the UK
Annual Report and Accounts and Fitness to Practise Annual Report for 2017-2018.
NMC responds to Government budget