Our website will be unavailable intermittently from 19:00 on Friday 25 May to 00:30 on Saturday 26 May while we carry out essential maintenance. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

We've updated our privacy notice. You can read it here.


Support for patients raising a concern

Find out what help and advice is available during our referral process

Public Support Service

We’ve recently introduced a new Public Support Service that puts patients, families and the public at the centre of our work. The service is already providing support and a full service will be up and running by autumn 2018.

What the service will offer

We'll provide tailored support to make sure patients, families and the public are protected, valued and respected, specifically when we consider whether a nurse or midwife is fit to practise.

We'll make sure that people have access to the right information and guidance at the earliest opportunity and signpost to further support beyond the NMC, where this is helpful.

The Public Support Service will also:

  • work to make sure that the voice of patients, family members and the public is valued and heard
  • develop a network of trained staff to act on behalf of patients and the public across the teams that assess whether a nurse or midwife is fit to practise
  • develop a specific area of our website with information for patients, families and the public

Get in touch

You can make a referral to us if you believe a nurse or midwife is not fit to practise.

If you're not sure if your concern should be investigated, contact us for advice.

If you would like further information about the Public Support Service, email publicsupport@nmc-uk.org.

Other organisations that can help

Our role is to make sure that the nurses and midwives on our register meet our requirements and are fit to practise in the UK.

If you would like to make a complaint about a healthcare professional who is not a nurse or midwife, you can contact one of the other healthcare regulators.

During the referral process

If we are investigating a complaint or concern you have referred to us, the following organisations can support you during and after the process.

Healthwatch An independent local organisation that is part of a national network. It champions the views of people who use health and social care services in England and provides signposting to Independent Complaints Advocacy and other local help and support organisations.

Get in touch with your local Healthwatch to get access to the Independent Complaints Advocacy.
AvMA (Action against Medical Accidents)  Provides free specialist medico-legal advice and support with making complaints where there are concerns about patient safety, as well as support with inquests and other legal processes.
Citizens Advice  Provides confidential and independent advice to the public on how to resolve a range of issues.
The Patients Association  Provides a helpline to answer queries about healthcare services, both NHS and private, and advocates for greater access to information, high quali6ty care and involvement in decision making.

Provides 24-hour confidential support services.

Telephone: 0845 790 9090

If we can't take your complaint forward

If we can't take your complaint forward, the following organisations can help you decide what to do next.

Many complaints and concerns can be resolved more quickly by the organisations where you were treated or seen.

Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) CAB provides free, independent and confidential advice on a wide range of problems. 
Healthwatch England An independent network of local organisations that champion the views of patients and the public in health and social care in England. They provide guidance and details of local NHS Complaints Advocacy services to help you make a complaint about health and social care services.
Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman Considers complaints that government departments and the NHS in England have not acted properly or fairly or have provided a poor service.
0345 015 4033

Local NHS health board Can help you make a complaint, or signpost you to local advocacy services.
Citizen's Advice Scotland Hosts the Independent Advice and Support Service for NHS patients.
Scottish Public Services Ombudsman Can investigate established complaints if progress is not being made.
0800 377 7330
Scotland Patients Association Provides patients with an opportunity to raise concerns about healthcare.

The Patient and Client Council Offers independent and impartial advice on making a complaint.
0800 917 0222
Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) Provides free, independent and confidential advice on a wide range of problems.
Northern Ireland Ombudsman Can investigate established complaints if progress is not being made.
0800 34 34 24 or 028 9023 3821

Local Community Health Councils Will give independent advice and support throughout the complaint making process.
0845 644 7814 / 02920 235 558
Citizen's Advice Bureau (CAB) Provides free, independent and confidential advice on a wide range of problems.
Public Services Ombudsman for Wales Can investigate complaints about public services in Wales.
0845 601 9087