When to raise a concern

We understand that if you’re reading this, you have been and perhaps still are going through a difficult time. 

You may be feeling anxious about the prospect of making an official complaint about a nurse or a midwife, but don't worry, we’re here to support you and to make sure your voice is heard.

This is where you will find a range of helpful information to guide you from the start of the process of raising a concern with us about the actions of a nurse or midwife, through an investigation and, if it comes to it, what to expect at a hearing.

We're also developing a new public support service, staffed by a network of people trained to act on behalf of patients, their families and other people. As part of this work, we are developing and implementing a range of different types of support, tailored to people's various circumstances.

What you should know

A nurse or midwife must have the skills, knowledge, good health and good character to do their job safely and effectively.

We call this being fit to practise and it’s our role as regulator to make sure that a nurse or midwife’s fitness to practise meets our standards. 

Our expectations are set out in The Code, which describes the professional standards that nurses and midwives must meet in order to be registered with us to practise in the UK.

If you’re concerned that a nurse or midwife doesn't meet these standards, you can raise a concern.

Who should you raise the concern with?

In most cases, it’s best to raise concerns with the nurse or midwife’s place of work first, as the employer is best placed to resolve issues quickly and fairly.

The employer can investigate the concern and if they decide to refer the case to us, they can send their information they may have gathered through an internal investigation, which will speed things up.

If, for any reason, you feel you can’t report your concern to their employer and you're not sure whether to report the concern to us or not, you can call our new referrals team on 020 7681 5688 or email us.

Once you take the step of reporting the concern directly to us, this is called making a referral.