If your concern isn't about a nurse, midwife or nursing associate

How to raise a concern about a different healthcare professional or setting

We regulate nurses and midwives in the UK, and nursing associates in England. If you want to raise a concern about a different healthcare professional, you may find the information below helpful.

This guide explains our role and other healthcare regulators in the UK:

Who regulates health and social care professionals

Healthcare assistants

Healthcare assistants are not currently regulated in the UK. If a patient or member of the public has a complaint about a healthcare assistant, they should raise their concerns with the organisation that the healthcare assistant works for. There are also other organisations that can offer help and support.


General Chiropractic Council (GCC)
020 7713 5155

Dentists, dental therapists, dental hygienists, dental nurses, dental technicians, clinical dental technicians and orthodontic therapists

General Dental Council (GDC)
020 7887 3800


General Medical Council (GMC)
0845 357 8001


General Optical Council (GOC)
020 7580 3898


General Osteopathic Council (GOsC)
020 7357 6655

Arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists, podiatrists, clinical scientists, dieticians, occupational therapists, operating department practitioners, orthoptists, paramedics, physiotherapists, prosthetists and orthotists, radiographers, speech and language therapists and social care workers, qualified social workers and social work students on approved degree courses in England

Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
020 7582 0866

Pharmacists, pharmacy technicians (on the voluntary register) and pharmacy premises

General Pharmaceutical Council (GPC)
020 3365 3400

Pharmacists and pharmacy premises in Northern Ireland

Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland (PSNI)
02890 326927

Social care workers, qualified social workers, and social work students on approved degree courses in: 


Social Care Wales
0300 30 33 444

Northern Ireland

Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC)
02890 417600
02890 239340 (Text phone)


Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC)
0845 603 0891

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and adult social care services in England.

If you are unhappy with the response to your complaint about the NHS in England, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to investigate.