Please visit for information about temporary registration and changes to how we’re operating during this time.


How employers can make a referral

If you're an employer and you want to refer someone on our register to us, use our online form.

We've made some changes to our referral processes during Covid-19.

Find out what this means for employers and how to make a referral.

We’ve launched a new, online referral service for employers who wish to refer a nurse, midwife or nursing assoicate to us. You can also use this online service if you’re a senior manager who wishes to refer an agency nurse, midwife or nursing associate you have concerns about.

If you're a member of the public please use our public referral form.

If you're having problems using this online form please email

This guidance is for referrals from employers, or other organisations, colleagues and other healthcare professionals or if you're a nurse, midwife or nursing associate who needs to make a self referral.

We use a formal, legal process to consider a concern about a nurse, midwife or nursing associate. The full process can take up to 15 months.

We'll use the information you provide to help us decide whether to take action against the nurse, midwife nursing associate. In some cases, we'll decide that no further action is required.

Being accessible

We're committed to making sure that our fitness to practise processes are accessible for everyone. If you need help to bring your concerns to our attention, would like our information in another format, or need us to make an adjustment because of disability or injury, please get in touch with us.

We can only investigate complaints about nurses, midwives or nursing associates

If you have a complaint about another healthcare professional (eg. a doctor or healthcare support worker) or an establishment such as a hospital or care home, there are other healthcare regulators who can investigate.

Other healthcare regulators who can investigate


Who they regulate

Phone number

General Medical Council (GMC) Doctors 0845 357 8001
General Dental Council (GDC) Dentists, dental therapists, dental hygienists, dental nurses, dental technicians, clinical dental technicians and orthodontic therapists 020 7887 3800
Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) Arts therapists, biomedical scientists, chiropodists, podiatrists, clinical scientists, dieticians, occupational therapists, operating department practitioners, orthoptists, paramedics, physiotherapists, prosthetists and orthotists, radiographers, speech and language therapists and social care workers, qualified social workers and social work students on approved degree courses in England 020 7582 0866
General Optical Council (GOC) Opticians 020 7580 3898
General Chiropractic Council (GCC) Chiropractors 020 7713 5155
General Osteopathic Council (GOsC) Osteopaths 020 7357 6655
General Pharmaceutical Council (GPC) Pharmacists, pharmacy technicians (on the voluntary register) and pharmacy premises 020 3365 3400
Care Quality Commission Health and adult social care services in England 03000 616161
Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) Makes final decisions on complaints that have not been resolved by the NHS in England 0345 015 4033
Care Council for Wales Social care workers, qualified social workers, and social work students on approved degree courses in Wales 0845 070 0399
Northern Ireland Social Care Council (NISCC) Social care workers, qualified social workers, and social work students on approved degree courses in Northern Ireland 02890 417600

02890 239340 (Text phone)
Pharmaceutical Society of Northern Ireland (PSNI) Pharmacists and pharmacy premises in Northern Ireland 02890 326927
Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) Social care workers, qualified social workers, and social work students on approved degree courses in Scotland 0845 603 0891
Healthcare assistants (HCAs) are not currently regulated in the UK. If a patient or member of the public has a complaint about a healthcare assistant, they should raise their concerns with the organisation that the healthcare assistant works for.